16 Jan Marketing Specialist- BNW Student Union (Position Filled)
–January 2017 —
–Thank you for your interest! This position has been filled.–
The BNW Student Union (BNW SU) is the non-profit (501c3) educational arm of the Brave New Workshop Comedy Theatre, the longest running satirical comedy theatre in the U.S., founded by Dudley Riggs in 1958. Through the joyful practice of improvisation, the BNW Student Union delivers engaging learning experiences in a supportive environment so humans of all ages can become their best selves, make authentic connections, and bring more laughter into their lives. The BNW SU is a leader for the study of improvisation using time-tested curriculum refined over the past 30 years.
The BNW SU motto, Improv for Everyone, Improv for Life, Improv for Good, speaks to the supportive service culture that is embodied by the BNW SU. The BNW SU currently serves 200 – 300 students weekly (ages 9 – 90), and approximately 2,000 individuals per year through classes and community outreach efforts. Growth initiatives will help BNW SU reach 10,000 students annually within the next few years. Most current programming takes place at the BNW SU’s beautiful new facility at 727 Hennepin in downtown Minneapolis, across the street from the renowned BNW Theatre. Growth initiatives will target programming at this facility as well as offsite.
Title: Marketing Specialist, BNW SU (aka Brave New Institute, a non-profit organization)
Position Reports to: BNW SU Executive Director
Position Supervises: N/A
BNW SU is seeking a marketer to increase our student enrollments and achieve our fundraising objectives. This is a new position within the organization. The Marketing Specialist will be responsible for coordinating, executing, and reporting results from implementing marketing programs from our marketing plan. The marketing specialist will be responsible for managing the BNW SU website, e-mail marketing, social media, event support and graphic design. This position reports to the Executive Director.
• Responsible for inbound marketing tasks including maintaining and Improving our website
• Optimizes content and pages to improve our search standings
• Creates landing pages for sales/recruiting initiatives
• Supports content marketing by writing blog posts, posting videos, event announcements, etc.
• Monitors web analytics and tracks progress against conversion goals
• Manages E-mail Marketing Programs against marketing objectives
• Engages in list building activities to enhance our e-mail database of prospective students
• Uses copywriting skills to create e-mail marketing campaigns to convert prospects into registered students
• Collaborates with the team to design and manage nurturing programs
• Creates and distributes monthly BNW SU newsletter
• Maintains compliance with CAN SPAM Act
• Reports results against marketing objectives
• Manages our social media to engage and increase participation in the BNW SU community. Drives referrals and tracks audience engagement.
• Manages and tracks results from outbound marketing programs like paid advertising including online ads and paid search
• Monitors trends in mobile marketing
• Promotes BNW SU events like improv sampler nights, open houses, and student appreciation
• Provide staff support for special events on campus that help build and engage our student community
• Supports communications and activities related to fundraising programs
• Performs other duties as assigned
• 1-3 years on the job marketing experience
• College degree preferred in liberal arts, marketing, or related field
• Adept with WordPress and managing e-mail marketing systems
• Baseline knowledge of graphic design
• Knowledgeable user of Saleforce CRM
• Promotional copywriting skills
• Excellent communicator (written and verbal)
• Good time and project management skills
• Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently
• Strong collaborator with ability to work with multiple levels of professionals
• Desire to work in a dynamic, creative, hard-working, “yes-and” environment, with a personal drive for achievement and world-class results
• Adapts to changing priorities, tools, and situations without stressing out; go with the flow, take it in stride (improviser’s mindset).
• Able to work some non-traditional hours (nights, weekend)
• Sense of humor is helpful and prevalent in our workplace
Other Notable Information
• Culture of high level of ownership for work and personal responsibility for quality. Lots of opportunity for hands-on growth and experience. Great mentors on staff ready to work with you.
• Highly visible brand and well-respected in community.
• Small, rapidly growing company with incredible growth opportunities, both for the company and for you individually.
• Flexible and variety of tasks and work hours. No two weeks are likely the same.
BNW and BNW SU Culture
• Very personable environment and highly supportive co-workers; turnover rate is incredibly low! People stay here for years and years
• Flexible vacation policy
• Culture of high level of ownership for work and personal responsibility for quality. Lots of opportunity for hands-on growth and experience
• Highly visible brand, well-respected in community
• Highly creative work environment and fun, fun co-workers and atmosphere
• Small, rapidly growing company with incredible growth opportunities, both for the company and for you individually
• Company commitment to global net positive impact; we believe in the power of what we do and strive to manage our business in a sustainable and respectful way
About the Brave New Institute
The Brave New Institute (BNI) is the legal name for the non-profit organization that does business as (DBA) the BNW Student Union. The BNI name and organization was created in 1997 as the official 501c3 educational organization of the BNW. The BNW Student Union name is what is used publicly in marketing/student materials. BNI remains the legal name on all State of Minnesota, banking and IRS documentation.
Full time position, open immediately. Primary work location – BNW SU, 727 Hennepin Ave, Downtown Minneapolis. For more info: https://www.bravenewworkshop.com/studentunion/
To Apply for this Position
Send RESUME and LETTER via email or mail to:
Melissa Kalinowski, BNW, 824 Hennepin Ave, Mpls, MN 55403; Melissa@bravenewworkshop.com
No Calls Please.
Applications accepted through February 20, 2017.
Fulltime position (30-40 hours per week). Salary commensurate with experience.